At New City Church, we believe that a life well lived to the glory of God means learning to see our entire lives as an offering to the Lord. And that includes our 9-5 workdays as well. Is it really possible to connect our Sunday worship to Monday morning? Yes, we believe it's not only possible, but essential.
In spite of the frustrations and difficulties that attend our work, work nevertheless is something that we were designed to do as we contribute to the common good. As the following video from The Institute for Faith, Work & Economics says,
"Our lives are not divided into two halves with one part being sacred and another part secular. Worship is not reserved only for Sunday morning, but for Monday morning as well."
Below is a list of helpful resources to encourage you to see your work as an offering of worship to our God.
2016 Summer Series
This summer at New City Church, we'll examine what the Bible has to say about the topic of work, calling, & vocation. This will be a great opportunity to reevaluate and reimagine our work as a legitimate way to offer our lives for the glory of God and for the common good.
Series begins June 26th.
- June 26: "In The Beginning, There Was Work"
- July 03: "Thank God It's Monday? The Glory of Culture Making"
- July 10: "Working for the Common Good"
- July 17: "The Problem of Work"
- July 24: "The Idolatry of Work"
- July 31: "The Perspective That Makes All The Difference"
- Aug 07: "Rejoicing the City"
- Aug 14: "Gifted For Work"
- Aug 21: "How the Gopel Helps You Unplug & Rest"
- Calling All Callings
- Vocation: Discerning Your Calling (by Tim Keller)
- How To Discover Your Calling (by Michael Horton)
- The Doctrine of Vocation (by Gene Edward Veith)
- Small Group Discussion Guide on Vocation
- Rejoicing the City
- Why Tim Keller Wants You to Stay in That Job You Hate
- How Faith Affects Our Work
- When the Gospel Invades Your Office
- How To Humanize the Workplace
- Evangelism is Not Enough to Change the World
- Work / Faith Forum: Interview with Katherine Alsdorf, co-author with Tim Keller of Every Good Endeavor.
- Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work, by Tom Nelson
- God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life, by Gene Edward Veith
- Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Work, by Tim Keller
- Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good, by Amy Sherman
- Culture Making: Recovering our Creative Calling, by Andy Crouch
- A Prayer for the Workplace (by the Centre for Faith and Work)
- Faith and Work (Tim Keller)
- Five Ways the Bible Shapes Our Work (Tim Keller)
- Work: What Is It Good For? (Tim Keller)
- Why Work Matters (Tim Keller)